6 firms have submitted bids to prepare a Feasibility Study Report for introducing a mass rapid transit system (MRTS) in Salem, Tiruchirappalli & Tirunelveli after Chennai Metro Rail Ltd (CMRL) opened technical bids on Thursday.
This comes right after Balaji Railroad Systems (BARSYL) won a similar contract for Madurai MRTS’ Feasibility Study Report with a 120 day delivery deadline.
CMRL invited bids for this new contract in February 2022 with a 122 day deadline.
- Aarvee Associates Architects Engineers and Consultants Private Ltd.
- Balaji Railroad Systems Private Ltd. (BARSYL)
- L&T Infrastructure Engineering Ltd.
- Rina Consulting SpA
- RITES Ltd.
- Urban Mass Transit Company Ltd. (UMTC)
Contract: 2021- DFR for Tier II Cities
CMRL’s Brief Scope: Selection of Consultant for Preparation of Feasibility Study Report for Introducing a Mass Rapid Transit System in Tiruchirappalli, Tirunelveli, Salem City
Scope for the selected consultant includes:
- To collect and examine available reports of previous studies, plans, CMP Report and other related with transportation scenario
- To collect primary transport network inventory data along with utilities within the Project Influence Area.
- To collect all the secondary information such as development plans, public transport routes.
- To conduct a review of the current situation in order to establish the existing condition and capacity of the public transport system.
I thought building a heavy-rail metro system in Madurai would be an overkill and that holds true for these tier 3 cities as well. Barring the main arterial thoroughfare in each town, perhaps even a Light Rail Transit (LRT) system (like Delhi Metrolite) might be an overkill.
Anyhow, all bids have now been sent for technical evaluation which can take a couple months to complete. When that is done, the financial bids of the technically qualified bidders will be opened to reveal who’s the lowest bidder and most likely consultant.
For more updates, check out the Chennai section or my Home Page! Sign up for free instant email notifications on new posts over here. Like this post? See how you can get early-access to updates and support the site over here.